Friday, June 10, 2011

Unit 1- The Essence of a Place

As I walk up towards the exciting fun filled park of Tom Sawyer, full of exultant kids and energized runners, I reflect back to when my parents would bring my brother and me here when we were younger. We would run around the wide open field, using our imagination and believing we were wild animals chasing after each other. In the fall, we would bring my brother’s rocket here and watch it shoot up past the golden and crimson colored leaves of the trees as we lost where it went up in the sky.  There would be times where we would end up finding it in the pool and since it was fall, there was no water in the pool so it was easier to fish it out.  I remember times my mom would drag us there to watch her play tennis or when she would meet up with her friends. We didn't mind that much since we were at the park and we always would find something entertaining to do. There were other times we came to the park to walk our dog, Lassie, who was a full grown Collie with lengthy orange and white fur. Most of the time we brought her during the fall since summer time would be too humid for her.  Other times, we would fly our kites, no matter what; we were having a decorous time. All my time I have spent here in this park has always seemed adventurous to me. The immense park helps you be able to find something new basically every time you go.
         I decided to start exploring the park by sitting underneath a tree to observe and experience what it brings to me. I laid back and closed my eyes as a slight breeze crept its way through the tree branches and the hot air. It felt nice since the temperature hit about 95 degrees that day but it didn't bother many people since they were out spending their evening in it. Maybe because the weather here in Kentucky can be a bit odd at times and they take what they can get. As I keep my eyes closed, I listen to the rustle of the leaves on the tree branches as they sway to the movement of the wind. I take notice of people yelling and kids screaming of excitement that summer is pretty much here. Also, all the dogs barking and even music that is playing on people's iPod's as they run past me.
         I begin to open my eyes and stare out into the distance of all the people enjoying their weekend here with the ones they love. Many people are running around in the open field where I once would fly my kites around when I was seven. Now there are numerous kids flying their kites and playing on the little jungle gym the park has. Mother's sit alongside on the benches watching their kids, making sure they don't fall and scrap a knee, and as well as to be nice to the other kids on the jungle gym. They remind them it's not the one they have back at home, this one they need to share. I stopped to watch a group of guys play some soccer. I have never been interested in the sport myself, I'm more of a football and basketball kind of girl but for some reason I wanted to catch sight of how the game ended. It didn’t keep me entertained long so I continued to walk the gravel pathway while the trees alongside built a tunnel of leaves on the branches for shade. People were running back and forth, breathing hard and checking their pulse for their heart rate.
         As I kept on walking, I came to a road where the walkway starts to make a curve and spotted an old shed looking barn on the other side. I decided to snoop and glimpse of what could be in there. I walked inside and found beat up computers and old desks scattered everywhere. The place was a mess; there were many papers all over the floor. I was curious as to what was on them. I picked up several papers and found people’s names on it which was dated back to 1995. It showed they were signing up for some training, I believe, to be firemen. I was pretty amazed to find these papers that dated back sixteen years ago and haven't been moved or thrown away. I felt as if they had meaning and could be valuable to someone. I shuffled my way out of the shed and ran across some younger kids exploring the shed as well to witness what they could find. I made my way back to the walkway through the tall grass that tickled my legs and made me scratch them constantly.
         As the walkway was coming to an end, I passed the aquatic center and heard kids laughing and screaming while they were splashing and playing Marco Polo in the pool. The splashing water seemed so relaxing and made me want to jump in on this hot day. I could spot the lifeguard on duty, doing his job by watching the kids swimming, making sure everyone was swimming safely, and blowing his whistle whenever it was necessary. I started to make my way towards my car as I was thinking there was an abundant amount of obstacles to take while walking around the park that you could find so much more. It was, yet again, another adventurous day at the park.




No comments:

Post a Comment