Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Oral History in Spiegelman's Maus

He goes to visit his father and he wants to know about 1939 when he was drafted. It is an example of oral history because he is sitting with his father, questions ready in a notebook, and he asks him questions that happened during a certain event at a certain time in the past. He actually sat and had a conversation with his dad instead of just sitting there and reading his questions. His father even got off topic for a little while, "the next year father wanted I would again to the same thing, but I begged him and I went in 1922 to the army", his son, "but lets get back to 1939!" It'd good to keep a conversation in instead of just saying "uh-huh" while they are talking. In the Oral History, it says to let them know you are interested by nodding your head and maybe asking a little more after they are done answering their question. You want to get every detail you can about your topic, even repeat some important questions to get the best possible answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment