For me, personally, I couldn't "unplug" myself from my iPhone or iPad. I'm too attached to both of them and they are always around me no matter where I go. I know that whenever I go on vacation with my family, they are the first things on my list to pack, along with my iPod and Nintendo DS. However, whenever I am on vacation, I'm not on my phone or iPad as much as I usually am when I'm at home. When we travel to Florida, I'm too busy laying by the beach and going out and feeling the water to even think about Twitter or who could be texting me. I actually leave my phone up in the hotel room and I don't check it until later that day. I couldn't actually "unplug" myself for several days, just for a few hours.
After thinking back on everything we've discussed over the semester, the thing that stands out the most to me was about privacy over the Internet or just in general. It surprised me to think that anyone can find out where you are at anytime like on Twitter when you tweet, you can put your location and anyone can figure out where you are out. Even your own money isn't safe online, anyone can track it and basically steal from you. It's scary to think, that's why I'm not putting too much out there because I don't want people to know everything about me. It also surprised me how Apple was first created, in a garage, and to see how successful it is now. Almost everyone owns an Apple product.
Communication technology has a huge impact on my life and society in general. Everywhere you go you see someone talking on their phone or on their laptop or iPad's, we feel forced to be "connected". We feel like we have to know what is going on at all times. My mom tells me all the time how she hates Facebook because everyone has to put everything on it and be on it at all times. She doesn't understand because she didn't grow up using Facebook while I did so I don't see it as a big deal. I'll admit, it was better before AIM and MySpace started because the only way you would find out anything about anyone is when you communicated with them yourself. I think Facebook and Twitter will continue to grow, just like cell phones and iPad's, because everyone needs to be connected, whether we admit it or not. Communication technologies is what defines us and we will never be able to escape it.
No comments:
Post a Comment